Orientation & Mobility Program
Orientation & Mobility is a two-week residential training course designed for individuals who are blind or visually impaired who wish to learn white cane travel, improve upon existing cane and traveling skills, and further their goal of becoming independent. Pilot Dogs provides round-trip transportation, room and board, and a white cane. Our Certified Orientation & Mobility instructors teach concepts and techniques necessary for travel through any environmental condition and situation. Students will learn how to use their senses to determine their position within the environment and techniques for safe movement from one place to another.
Human guide technique
Upper and lower body protective techniques
Squaring off and trailing
White cane techniques
Cardinal directions (north, south, east, and west)
An opportunity to walk with a Pilot Dog
For those individuals with some remaining vision, a sleep shade will be provided during some lessons to improve non-visual skills.
Real-world applications include:
Crossing streets in residential, commercial, and urban areas
Crossing streets with simple and complex light-controlled intersections
Traveling in areas with no sidewalks
Soliciting information in stores
Navigating driveways and parking lots
Riding public transportation
Learning how to use APS (Accessible Pedestrian Signals)
Your Stay at Pilot DogsQualified students enrolled in the Orientation & Mobility course will spend two weeks in residence at Pilot Dogs.
- Our rooms are simple and comfortable, complete with a queen bed, storage space, a TV, and wireless internet. Linens and towels are provided.
- Pilot Dogs has an exercise room, laundry room, and weekly laundry service.
- A braille writer and CCTV are always available.
- The cafeteria staff will accommodate reasonable dietary needs. Additionally, we have a soda machine, snack/candy machine, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee. Bottled water is available for purchase.
- Visitors are welcome on a limited basis. Mail is always welcome and a telephone is available for calls.
- Smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
- The day begins at 6:00 a.m. and breakfast is at 7:00 a.m.
- Class starts at 8:00 a.m. with 2-3 lessons in the morning.
- Lunch is at noon, with class resuming at 1:00 p.m. There are 2-3 lessons in the afternoon.