Apply for a Guide Dog
Four Paws. Two Feet. One Team.
Wait Time Disclosure:
Currently Pilot Dogs is experiencing longer-than-usual waiting periods in providing guide dogs to accepted students. In order to ensure that our standard of quality remains high for all who are accepted for the guide dog program, the AVERAGE waiting period is greater than 18 months. This wait time is considerably longer for Poodles and German Shepherds.
Please be assured that Pilot Dogs is doing everything in our power to reduce the waiting period without compromising quality and dependability of our trained dogs. We appreciate your patience and support during this challenging time.
A Pilot Dog can be a life-changing companion for people who are blind or visually impaired, providing confidence and independence. Because of the generosity of our donors, we are able to provide guide dogs to eligible students at no cost.
Who is Eligible?
We proudly provide world-class Pilot Dogs to people who:
- Are legally blind
- Are physically and mentally capable of receiving benefit from a Pilot Dog
- Are at least 16 years old
- Have had previous O&M training
Application Process OverviewThere are three main steps in the application process:
- Complete the online application.
- Submit the Medical Examination and Eye Examination forms, completed by the applicant's medical providers.
- Submit a video. The video allows us to see navigation skills, pace and physical stamina, and areas of use so that we can better match dogs with students. (Video requirements can be found here.)
Next Steps & Selection Process
- The application process is considered complete when the applicant has submitted all required documentation and video.
- Once the applicant has completed the application process, the Selection Committee will begin the review process and notify applicants on their status within 30 days.
Start the Application Process
- If the applicant is a first-time student and has never had a Pilot Dog, click on the New Student button to get started.
- If the applicant has (or has had) a Pilot Dog, click on the Returning Student button to get started.